Saturday 14 May 2011

New Years? Your Place or Mine?

It was quickly drawing towards the end of 2006 and the year was a world wind. I met "this guy" named Stephen. I was preparing for my Final Exams. I was counting down the weeks to finishing my elective rotations, and I would finally meet Stephen.

Yes I said I would finally meet Stephen. Well or so I had hoped. At this point we were a fixture in each others lives and family and friends knew our names. Despite communicating daily and living literally three hours away from each other, we never met...physically.

Stephen and I were star crossed lovers of the future. We internet dated! We did the instant messenger, video chatting, constant text messages and never ending phone calls daily! We just did not get to that fork in the road where our paths crossed, rather than only our stars.

At this point I will admit I started having romantic feelings for Stephen but I denied it tooth and nail. I had suitors telling me that it was a fictional relationship based on a fantasy of who we believed each other was. (of course they would say that!) Was this true and if it were who cared right? I surely was not interested!!

I will say today that my constant fighting of what was right in front of me actually helped form our relationship. Had I consciously seen Stephen as a suitor I would have questioned everything about our relationship and ran for the hills, but I didn't.

So why didn't we meet? Well there was alot of back and forth about who would come to where and when? So we finally decided we would bring the New Year in together in Times Square, meaning he would travel to where I was at the time.

My roommate got tired of hearing about this mystery man and I think she was more excited than me to meet him. Then I got the call, or the instant message not sure which one anymore. He couldnt make it something came up, he would make it up to me. Now the girl that is consciously making an effort to pursue a relationship would have said "ANOTHER WOMAN." Instead I said "Its ok, I didn't really want to be in a crowd on New Years day anyway."

So instead New Years 2007 I lay on my bed in an apartment in New York in an empty apartment, chatting to Stephen online. I did not understand my mood until almost a year later, I was deeply disappointed. I lied it was not ok, I really did want to be in a crowd watching the Ball drop, but I wanted to do that with Stephen! He owes me a New Years in New York so I can watch (for the first time) the ball drop in Times Square!

No comments:

Post a Comment